Sunday 6 July 2008

Design in the World of Climate Change and Peak Oil



Philippe Starck, the European design icon guilty of pushing useless consumer drivel down our throats for the past few decades, has apparently seen the light:
"I was a producer of materiality and I am ashamed of this fact.
I will definitely give up in two years' time. I want to do something else, but I don't know what yet. I want to find a new way of expressing myself ...design is a dreadful form of expression."
Points for admittance of guilt, but no points for the cop out.

What do you do when you notice, you've screwed up?

You acknowledge the reality, apologize if needed and then proceed to clean up the mess.

That's what Mr Starck should concentrate spending his time and millions on. I'm sure there are plenty of avenues for 'self-expression' in saving the world.

Now we only have the rest of the 99.99999% useless surface contouring and colour-picking designers to go...